Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A superb approach to business

Sometimes it feels like I lead a double life - 3 days a week I work at the local University in Grants Management (for Research) and as much as I can the rest of the time I devote myself to championing the cause for preventative health measures. Today I came across a speech written by an engineer which I thought expouses principles appropriate to both areas of my life and liked it so much I thought I'd post it.

The speech comes from Dr Chris Nicol’s 2007 Warren Centre Innovation Lecture where he challenged the audience to think innovatively about what sorts of future engineering “magic” would make the difference. Here are his key points on winning the innovation game:
  1. Identify your customers (internal and external) and make sure they are satisfied with your products and services
  2. Have the courage to hire people who are better than you
  3. Train and task individuals so that they are self motivated to drive their own performance
  4. Motivate the team to a central cause
  5. You cannot have loyal customers without loyal employees. Go a step further and be grateful for them: Every day, my employees would say good bye to their loved ones and come to the office to spend a significant amount of their day with me. For this, I was grateful
  6. Spouses are called “significant other” for a reason. When someone is travelling, or on a conference call at midnight, there is usually a spouse who is feeling under-appreciated. Extend the notion of “team” to include them
  7. Positioning. It is better to be different than it is to be better
  8. Continually change - and self-inject change – especially when it feels like it is not needed. “When you are green you grow, when you are ripe you rot.” Opportunity lies on the boundary of order and chaos. Too much of either and growth is diminished. Complacency will kill you.
  9. At the end of the day, when you have done your best - await the results in peace (incredibly difficult to do). It takes self-discipline - but worrying about stuff benefits no-one and probably makes you ill.

It is lovely to come across these words of a highly principled man. I can only wish him long, happy and healthy days. At the Health Highway we strive to offer excellence to our customers. If we can help you to feel healthy and be happy, get in touch!

No comments:

d