Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008

Safer alternative for head lice treatment

I've blogged before about non-toxic solutions for keeping your kids healthy and thought I'd say some more on the Head Lice issue.

For years we have been hearing from other parents that since they changed to the brand of shampoo and conditioner recommended by the Health Highway they have never had an incidence of head lice or had to worry about their kids getting head lice. And the product is safer, cheaper and more effective than the supermarket brand they had previously been using. How good is that?

So I was amazed to come across an article today which states "the US economic burden of head lice is up to $240 million per year for pharmacotherapy alone, and up to $1 billion per year for combined direct and indirect costs". They also state "Head lice, within the past 20 years, have developed resistance to nearly all first-line pharmacotherapy in the United States" and go on to suggest which chemical treatment should now be used, with the usual disclaimers about potentially harmful side effects and who should avoid contact with the chemicals.

(Some Australian articles are available from James Cook University)

The Health Highway always advocates prevention over cure. Whenever I find an article like this, I think "I rest my case!". If you are concerned about Head Lice and are looking for safe, natural alternatives which keep your kids safe, contact me for more information.

No comments:

d