Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cinnamon

"Practical" should be my middle name. I just love it when I find out about things that are going to make my life easier, healthier and give me more peace of mind.

Earlier this week, Dr Mercola published a wonderful article on the health benefits of the spice Cinnamon. Some of the benefits he lists are:
  • Benefits to diabetics

  • Support for digestive function

  • Relief for congestion

  • Relief of pain and stiffness of muscles and joints

  • Anti-inflammatory compounds that may relieve arthritis

  • Help in preventing urinary tract infections, tooth decay and gum disease

  • Relief for menstrual discomfort

  • Blood-thinning compounds that stimulate circulation

I had just posted a blog on morning sickness and it sounded like cinnamon might help me as well (a lot of my morning sickness seems to be related to digestion issues). So I googled around a bit to find some recipes. I found a list of 25 tips for using Cinnamon of which these were my favourite:

  • First aid tips: sprinkle on a small cut to stop the sting and assist healing; for diarrhea, steep 1 - 3 teaspons in a cup of hot water for 10 - 15 mins, strain and drink

  • Around the home: mix cinnamon with baking soda and sprinkle around the house as a carpet freshener before vaccuming; put cinnamon around plants to prevent mould and make your own room freshener by simmering 1 tsp coconut extract, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp orange peel and 1 tsp allspice

  • For food: put on finger tips when crimping a pie crust; add to anything chocolatey (cake etc); add a pinch to chicken noodle soup and hamburger buns for instant extra flavour; shake in a bag with cut apple slices to bring out the flavour.

There were lots of recipe sites too, for example the McCormick website which includes sweet and savoury recipes.

After reading Dr Mercola's post I got a sudden craving for Pumpkin Pie, found some nice recipes on the web, went home and made one after work. It was lovely! This post has been a bit more lighthearted but I hope you've enjoyed it.

No comments:

d