Pages

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Assistance with Morning Sickness

I am 24 weeks this week, and still struggling with terrible Morning Sickness. A few weeks ago I decided I would start Maxolon because I was really "over" vomiting up to 4 times a day. The Maxolon has certainly helped, although I still seem to "ride the bowl" every other day. Overall I feel very much less than my usual self: I lack energy and appetite and feel rather nauseated and awful most of the time. It kind of takes the shine off being pregnant.

So I'm trying a few home remedies as well. Here is what I am doing if there is a chance this will help someone else. I've googled a lot to see what other morning sickness sufferers suggest and have tried these suggestions with definite improvements:
  • propping up the end of the bed with a couple of solid hardcover books.
    I was most likely to be sick first thing in the morning and dry crackers (the usual suggestion) did not help me (the mere thought of dry crackers sent me running to the bathroom). Raising the end of the bed has really helped me.
  • acupressure wrist bands. These are commonly worn for car sickness or other travel related motion sickness. I have found they made a big difference in reducing my general feeling of nausea.
  • light and frequent meals. I can't face meat, fish or heavy carbs at the moment and with a reduced appetite there isn't much which appeals. I find if I eat small portions of light food I don't feel too bad. Smoothies, fresh or stewed fruit and yoghurt (never choose diet brands or products containing Aspartame, particularly when pregnant), all seem to go down well for me. Scrambled eggs and custard have also been good. I've recently been taking my usual probiotic and a powdered milk-based protein supplement in my smoothies which have helped my nutritional balance and tastes lovely.
  • supplements. I am taking a few pregnancy supplements: a multivitamin, iron and minerals but none of these have helped the morning sickness symptoms. I have been taking a well-known morning sickness formula but have decided to try an alternative which is a combination of a reputable B-group vitamin supplement plus a lesser well known (but reputable) brand which contains Ginger, Cordyceps sinensis, Ganoderma lucidum and Pseudostellaria heterophylla. This new combination seems to be giving me considerably better results. After only a few days I feel much more like my usual self and think I have regained some quality of life.

Its a bit of trial and error - everyone seems to be slightly different and what works for some might not work for others. None of the websites I've linked to are keen to endorse use in pregnancy. This is because specific studies haven't been done. But as I've reported previously, there are few drugs that are tested for pregnancy because drug companies don't want to face litigation risk in conducting the testing. I am going to just trust my instincts on this one.

Personally, I've felt very frustrated by the usual approach to morning sickness, which seems to be: oh dear, poor you, I'm sorry but you don't have many options for feeling better. This isn't easy advice to live with when you work part time and have an active 2 year old and husband to attend to.

I would really encourage anyone suffering as I have to keep looking for answers which will suit your particular needs, so long as you never expose yourself or your baby to unnecessary risks.

If you would like the names of the supplements I have tried, please feel free to contact me and see if they might help you as well. As always, if there is anything we can do to help you at the Health Highway please get in touch.

1 comment:

Deidre said...

Aha, well, I now have additional information on this topic and more recent posts - please read my recent discovery that dehydration is one of the leading causes of morning sickness - see http://healthhighway.blogspot.com/2010/03/morning-sickness.html and http://healthhighway.blogspot.com/2009/04/morning-sickness.html

d