Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Masters of self delusion

I have found if I "observe" rather than "absorb" the things around me (thanks, Lisa), I see things from a different perspective. A couple of times in the last week, I have observed my own ability to be a master of self delusion. Let me explain.

I go to a local gym. I love going to the gym, and I think I go quite often. I am convinced in my mind that its "only a couple of days" since I last went to the gym. But we each have a record card that needs to be filled out for a circuit and I am surprised each time to find it has been 5 days or 6 days since my last visit. Obviously if I only go once a week (as evidenced by my card), that is not going to have the impact on my health and fitness that I desire, and yet I was totally convinced in my mind that I was doing more.

The second example was the fluid intake I mentioned in my last post. I always thought I was good at keeping up my water intake. But when I start to write it down as per Dr Batmangelidj's suggestion, I find nearly every time that I am only having half or less of what he recommends.

Not wanting to point the finger, but my husband "swears" he takes his vitamins regularly, but I only order one pot of his vitamins for every 2 or 3 of mine.

About 10 years ago, I tried a popular weight loss program and there were two things I was asked to do: keep a food diary and record my water consumption. Interesting. Why was I asked to do that? I wasn't offered an explanation at the time, but I believe it is because we are all masters of self delusion. We think we eat healthily, but the food diary might give us different evidence. We think we drink enough water, but the water record might tell another story.

It is always an interesting exercise to write things down, just to check if you really are on track to achieving your goals. What is it that you want to do? If it is achieve your ideal weight, your ideal health, your ideal business, your ideal investment portfolio - what is your strategy? Write it down, then write down the activities you are taking towards those goals. This isn't meant to show you if you are right or wrong, but it is a great feedback mechanism if what you are striving for does not seem to be getting any closer.

Be Well!

Deidre.

No comments:

d