Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

Men in Danger - SBS Documentary

Australia's TV channel SBS ran a documentary last Sunday night (30-03-08) called "Men in Danger". This issue is very close to my heart, having been through 4 years of infertility treatment and 2 years of studying the issues of harmful chemical interference on the human body with my company, the Health Highway. The documentary features the work of Danish researcher Niels Skakkebaek, US researcher Shanna Swan and other including Professor Lou Gilette, Tyrone B Hayes, Ana Soto, Richard Sharpe, Henrik Leffers and Lilla Hass.

The SBS website provides a summary of the show:
A program which looks at some of the factors which may explain why sperm production in males has dropped 50% in 50 years, and explores an important
question currently facing scientists; could chemical molecules in our environment be affecting our ability to reproduce? Aside from the huge drop in the amount of sperm production over the last five decades, scientists have also recorded a dramatic rise in the number of testicular cancers and a disturbing increase in the number of congenital malformations in male reproductive organs - two trends echoed in wildlife studies. This suggests the cause is environmental and not genetic. For Niels Skakkebaek, Danish doctor and researcher, the male reproductive and infertility problems we are currently facing are ‘as important as global warming.' (From France, in English) (Science) M CC WS

A Sydney Morning Herald review summed it up well with "What do you want first, the bad news or the bad news?...chemicals as the main culprits - even those considered safe for humans - and the damage is done before a baby is born. There are also flow-on effects for cancers in men and women."

I will be exploring some of the issues raised in the documentary in future posts, including links to the researcher's work where it is available online. If you can get a copy of this documentary it is well worth a view - a wealth of information on the issue of endocrine disruption affecting human metabolism, immune systems and fertility.

If you would like information on products for use on your skin and around the home which do not contain harmful, toxic or endocrine disrupting chemicals, please contact us at the Health Highway.

3 comments:

kbates said...

I too saw this show and it blew me away. I have been a signwriter for the past 17 years working with signwriting vinyls that are loaded with phalates. I had a son 4 and a half years ago who was born with severe hyperspadius ( a genital deformety). This happens to 1 in 1000 boys and all the surgeon could tell me was that they were linking it to the use of plastics as the ratio was slowly increasing. After seeing the documentary I started researching as much as I could about my work environment trying to find some hard evidence that the vinyl I use and my son's hyperspadius are linked. I have been trying to get a copy of the documentary to add to my research. Can you help me?

kbates said...

I too saw this show and it blew me away. I have been a signwriter for the past 17 years working with signwriting vinyls that are loaded with phalates. I had a son 4 and a half years ago who was born with severe hyperspadius ( a genital deformety). This happens to 1 in 1000 boys and all the surgeon could tell me was that they were linking it to the use of plastics as the ratio was slowly increasing. After seeing the documentary I started researching as much as I could about my work environment trying to find some hard evidence that the vinyl I use and my son's hyperspadius are linked. I have been trying to get a copy of the documentary to add to my research. Can you help me?

Deidre said...

Kate, I have recently come across a website where you can purchase a copy of the show "Men in Danger". It is available from Enhance TV, at the URL http://www.enhancetv.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=107221&cat=316&page=4
Good luck and stay well, regards, Deidre

d